Rachel L. D. Thompson
Rachel L. D. Thompson, an immigration and adoption attorney, is a partner at Poarch Thompson Law. She serves on the Federal Bar Association’s Governing board as Secretary. is the Chair of their Law School Committee, and also speaks annually at its conferences. She was the recipient of the FBA-ILS “Younger Lawyer of the Year Award” (2018) and the recipient of the “Alison Parker Young Woman of Achievement Award” (2016) given by DePaul Community Resources where she serves a board member. She also serves as a board member for Blue Ridge Legal Services. In 2020, she was listed in Roanoker Magazine’s Class of 2020 for “40 Under 40,” was named a Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine, and nominated by her peers as Legal Elite by Virginia Business. Alongside being one of Poarch Thompson Law’s managing attorneys, she is also an adjunct professor at Liberty University School of Law. Rachel first moved to Southwest Virginia when she attended Liberty University School of Law (Lynchburg, Virginia), graduating in May 2012. The multiculturalism inherent in her native city (Philadelphia) and her family (South African mother and Jamaican father) instilled an early and profound love for diverse cultures, hope in the possibilities of immigration.
Who is your hero?
Aside from basic necessities, what could you not go a day without (activity, person, thing etc)?
What one luxury would you take with you on a deserted island?
A television with ESPN
If you had a warning label, what would yours say?
Warning: Comeback to me in a day, I need time to process
What celebrity would you like to meet at Starbucks for a cup of coffee?
If you could eat only one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Oxtail and dumplings
- DePaul Community Resources (2017), Board Member
- Federal Bar Association Immigration Law Section (2013 – Present),
- Committee Member Younger Lawyers Division (2015 – Present)
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (2013 – Present)
- Roanoke Bar Association (2013 – Present)
- Virginia Women’s Attorney Association (2013 – Present), Vice President (2014 – 2015)
- Salem/Roanoke County Bar Association (2013 – Present)
- B.A. Spanish Business, Messiah College
- J.D., Liberty University School of Law
- Virginia State Bar, 2013
201 S. College Ave, Salem VA 24153
The results of client matters depend on a variety of factors unique to each matter. Past successes do not predict or guarantee future successes.